[Pki-devel] Dogtag+FreeIPA: adapting to the Fedora mass orphaning

François Cami fcami at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 14:58:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

The Java maintainers have orphaned most, if not all, of the Java stack
in Fedora, in favor of modules:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/MQMRQVENBLDRS67WLNQ7EOCMSDI5WIET/

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/ITDMQ7UACH4CL6754IMOYQ45QOBVPOX6/

As this change would lead into a lot of retired packages (maven and
all that depends on it, like Dogtag), there was a proposal to create a
SIG that would take care of these packages.
It does not seem to have advanced much for the past month:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/I7AP2G7KUBGT6FP4GJBDBLCHZJ54YZG2/#I7AP2G7KUBGT6FP4GJBDBLCHZJ54YZG2

And it seems unrealistic for the Dogtag and FreeIPA teams to take over
all these packages.

In the future packages will be able to BuildRequire modules:
https://tree.taiga.io/project/modularity-wg/epic/12
but it is not possible yet and there is no ETA.

The consequence is that Dogtag will be considered FTBFS as soon as
maven and other dependencies are retired.
Dogtag will therefore will be retired (along with FreeIPA) if
maintenance for the dependencies is not picked up.

There does not seem to be a good solution except by moving both Dogtag
and FreeIPA to modules (where we could BR: existing modules) before
Fedora releng starts to retire our packages.

Thoughts?

Cheers
François