[Pki-devel] [Pki-users] How to generate the certificate in pkcs #12 format using Dogtag PKI

Alex Scheel ascheel at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 20:21:13 UTC 2019

Hi Sarath,

I think a X509 Certificate with "digital signature" key usage would
suffice based on what I can tell:

 - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/certificate-based-signatures.html
 - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.3
 - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_certificate_system/9/html/administration_guide/standard_x.509_v3_certificate_extensions

Per a digicert article on the subject, you might want timestamping as
an extended key usage as well:

 - https://www.digicert.com/document-signing/how-to-sign-a-pdf.htm
 - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_certificate_system/9/html/administration_guide/Standard_X.509_v3_Certificate_Extensions#Discussion-PKIX_Extended_Key_Usage_Extension_Uses

Details are kinda sparse about what else you'd need, or if those
are sufficient. You might try reading Section 12.7.4.5 "Signature
Fields", Section 12.8 "Digital Signatures", and in particular,
Section 12.8.3.3 "PKCS#7 Signatures as used in ISO 32000" of the
PDF 1.7 specification for more information:

 - https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf

You'd probably want to create a certificate profile with this
information at any rate:

 - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_certificate_system/9/html/administration_guide/certificate_profiles

Hope that helps,

- Alex