[Pki-devel] Configuration of Friendly Name and Country

Dinesh Prasanth Moluguwan Krishnamoorthy dmoluguw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 01:19:50 UTC 2020

Hi Nadeera,

Please find my reply inline

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 5:28 AM Nadeera Galagedara <
nadeeragalagedara at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Dinesh,
>
> I tried the method and still have the problem. I will tell you what i did
> and can you tell me where did I do wrong.
>
> My root CA has "*Maximum number of intermediate CAs: unlimited*" and now
> I am installing the issuing ca (what I use for to issue certificates for
> clients). For the issuing *CA **Maximum number of intermediate* CAs want
> to be *Zero*.
>

> I basically follow
> https://www.dogtagpki.org/wiki/PKI_10.5_Installing_CA_with_External_CA_Signing_Certificate steps
> (send the CSR to root CA and get back the signed certificate) and added
>
> policyset.caCertSet.5.default.name=Basic Constraints Extension Default
> policyset.caCertSet.5.default.params.basicConstraintsCritical=true
> policyset.caCertSet.5.default.params.basicConstraintsIsCA=true
> policyset.caCertSet.5.default.params.basicConstraintsPathLen=0
>
> lines to both step 1 and step 2 config files and installed the Issuing CA.

The above lines need to be added to profiles, not to .cfg for pkispawn. My
colleague, Fraser, wrote an awesome blog post [1] explaining how Dogtag
profiles work. Though the post was written in 2014 this should give you a
good understanding of how to configure profiles.

But, in your case, I believe you need to craft the CSR with this
constraint. So, you need to use the `openssl` or `certutil` tools to
specify the *basic Constraint*.

For example, using openssl:

openssl req \
    -addext basicConstraints=critical,CA:TRUE,pathlen:1 \

You can also refer how to create CSR in our wiki [2]

[1]
https://frasertweedale.github.io/blog-redhat/posts/2014-05-14-dogtag-profile-definitions.html
[2] https://www.dogtagpki.org/wiki/Generating_CA_Signing_CSR_with_OpenSSL

HTH. Good luck!