[Pki-devel] CVEs in RHEL 7

Alex Scheel ascheel at redhat.com
Fri Mar 20 22:20:47 UTC 2020

Hey Amy,

Matt asked about our CVE response in RHEL 7.

As far as I know, we have the following CVEs (grouped below by
category).

Third Party:

 - CVE-2016-10735 (bootstrap) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2018-14040 (bootstrap) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2018-14042 (bootstrap) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2019-8331 (bootstrap) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2019-11358 (js-jquery) XSS/DoS Moderate
 - CVE-2015-9251 (js-jquery) XSS Moderate

These I'd recommend CLOSE->WONTFIX ; all are more work than they are worth
in the last RHEL 7 release.  It requires updating our dependencies and then
re-testing the entire web UIs. They're not stored XSS and I'm not sure
there's actually a viable way to exploit these in a RHCS environment. They're
mostly about a way for a third-party site to inject content run in a trusted
execution environment on a RHCS instance. That requires substantial theme
customization (and/or changes to the server-side code to load elements from
a third-party site) to enable and is well outside the scope of our support.
Additionally, all operations are audited in our customer's deployments, so
tracking down _who_ did this would be possible. I think it is safe to close
these in RHEL 7.

I'd like to fix all of these in RHEL 8 eventually, but again, that requires
significant work and validation that we didn't break anything. All of these
third-party dependencies (Bootstrap, jquery, ...) are severely out of date,
and updating them is likely to break stuff. Doable, but not fun. :-)

First Party

 - CVE-2019-10178 (TPS UI) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2019-10179 (KRA UI) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2019-10180 (TPS UI) XSS Low
 - CVE-2020-1696 (TPS UI) XSS Moderate
 - CVE-2020-1721 (KRA UI) XSS Low
 - CVE-2019-10146 (CA UI) XSS Low

We don't have fixes for these in RHEL 8 yet. I think we should fix them in
RHEL 8 and close them in RHEL 7. Testing these is significantly easier, and
backporting would be easier. In all cases, I believe our QE team was the
reporter.

Someone familiar with this UI should probably fix them (Endi? Jack? Christina?
I'm not sure). I think the changes should probably be server-side sanitation
coupled with better front-end injection to prevent XSS. I can review, but I
wouldn't know where to start to fix them.

I wouldn't consider backporting them until someone (Amy? the customer?) is
concerned and we've fixed them.

However, my same argument about third-party ones stands here too: access is
audited so it should be easy to find out who did this.

My 2c., but I think they should be RHEL 8.3 candidates and not RHEL 7.9.

If fixes are required/requested by the customer, we can always add them in a
batch update.

Thanks,

- Alex