[Pki-users] Questions on customizing certificate profiles

Arshad Noor arshad.noor at strongauth.com
Thu Apr 8 21:43:22 UTC 2010

Oliver,

So, what you did was complete the entire process using SHA-1,
submit an immediate renewal after modifying the profiles and
then install the renewed certificate with SHA-2?

A question for Kevin: is this going to require that all the
certs generated through the installation process must go
through an immediate renewal to get other custom parameters
in them?  The certs I want have:

1) SHA-256;
2) Custom key-usages - not default for everything;
3) Custom AIA extensions - (did you know that the AIA extension
    in the OCSP Signing certificate has a pointer to the OCSP
    URL?  I didn't look closely, but I think it may have also
    been missing the OCSPNoCheck extension - how could OCSP work
    at all with these defaults?)
4) Custom CPS extensions;
5) Etc.

The renewal method essentially forces us to install the PKI
twice to get it right, with the additional burden of performing
renewals, approvals, replacements, etc. to get the certs right.
If there is one tiny error in this additional process, the work
just multiplies from there.

This is not elegant at all, Kevin.

Is there any priority that can be placed towards merging the RHCS
code into DogTag and fixing this?

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.