[Pki-users] Questions on customizing certificate profiles

Arshad Noor arshad.noor at strongauth.com
Thu Apr 8 22:25:24 UTC 2010

I am sorry to read this, Kevin.  It suggests that RedHat has
forgotten its open-source roots and what made it a billion
dollar company in the first place.

We are all familiar with the **** that companies put up with
when buying some commercial products.  Open-source was meant
to be an answer to that problem - that quality could be vastly
improved in software when there were many eyes looking at the
source - not because some people just like the idea of seeing
the source-code of the products they use.

That RedHat was making money on services off of open-source
products was perfectly acceptable - there is real value in
services.  But, when the open-source company starts
differentiating its open-source products from its commercial
products, it subverts the whole notion of open-source and what
it stands for.

If the fix did not exist and it was up to the open-source
community to prioritize the fix, that's one thing.  But when
the fix *does* exist, and has been merged into the commercial
branch, but is not merged into the open-source branch - that
suggests deliberate manipulation of the trust and goodwill of
the open-source community.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.