[Pki-users] Utimaco HSM "Not Found" problem

Michael StJohns msj at nthpermutation.com
Wed Apr 28 00:40:40 UTC 2010

On 4/26/2010 10:46 PM, Christina Fu wrote:
> Actually, I did spend some time looking into JSS code.  The result was
> inconclusive.  The code appeared to be reasonable.  I do suspect,
> however, without looking closely at the code, that somehow the module
> is unloaded somewhere along the way.
> I'm curious whether this is an issue on this particular HSM, or if
> it's a matter of handling external modules (including software
> modules) in general.
> Has anyone had any success installing/using certicom module on this
> platform, for example?
>
> Again, I did not see any email from another member (StJohns?) that you
> mentioned claiming success with Utimaco HSM on a 32 bit machine...
> could you please forward the email?
> Another thing is, I'm not familiar with Utimaco HSM, but you might
> want to find out how to turn on debugger.
>
> Otherwise, try turning on NSS debugging, which might give you some clue.
>
> Christina

Hi Christina -

I had to put work on this aside for a few days, but am getting back to
it.  I've had uneven results.  The time that I got the HSM to show up
with the slots, but I didn't get the "Login" button.  This time, I
didn't even get the HSM to show up.  The first time, I added the HSM
manually, the second via a mod to the create script.  Still working my
way through it.

I modified pki_create_instance to add both the Utimaco library and the
Coolkey PKCS11 libary.   I had to turn off SELinux enforcement to get
Coolkey to show up on the list, but even then, the Utimaco lib didn't.
I haven't had a chance to go back and check again.

Mike