[Pki-users] Best High Availability Design

Dave Augustus davea at ingraftedsoftware.com
Sat Feb 19 19:24:06 UTC 2011

Hi Erwin,

I appreciate your response.

The primary reason for wanting to a PKI was to alleviate all the
self-signed certs that we are/will be using. Then I realized that it
could be expanded to include user authentication to our NOC web sites.
So this is how it has evolved.

Currently, I have a primary CA with a secondary CA.

    * The primary CA is all hosted on a single host, host A, including
      LDAP storage.
    * The secondary CA is all hosted on a single host, host B, including
      LDAP storage.
    * The 2 LDAP servers are in a multi-master config with replication
      agreements for the User database, not the CAs though.
    * I will create all the certs from the secondary CA.
    * We will create user certs
    * We will create server certs
    * Both hosts are in a 2-node corosync cluster.

So we have numerous single points of failure in this setup, hence my
questions. With I think of HA for this project, I think more along the
lines of availability and less about performance. I have 2 physical
hosts to work with, along with fibre channel with an OCFS2 volume
available to both hosts.

So I would think that what I am looking for is that all services could
be running on a single host, in case the other host failed. Dogtags
supports cloning and so for each service that I need (CA1,CA2, OCSP ), I
can use cloning with manual assistance. I just designate one of host A
or B to be the primary host for a given service. Them clone them to the
other host.

Thanks,
Dave