[Pki-users] Backup/restore of Dogtag servers when migrating FC15 to FC17

Ade Lee alee at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 13:39:54 UTC 2012

One of the tricky things about going from f15 to f17 is that the
mechanism of starting dogtag (and other services) has changed.  F15 (if
I recall correctly) uses init5, but F17 uses systemd.

I would try the following approach:
1. Create a new instance with the same name as your previous instance.
This will create all the relevant systemd files to allow the server to
start up.  In particular, this will also create the symbolic link
- /var/lib/<instance-name>/<instance_name>.  Note where this link
points.

2. Backup and restore the old instance as described in the docs.  You
will be essentially replacing the data in the security databases, config
files etc.  You will likely need to fix the link mentioned above as it
needs to point to the tomcat6 systemd startup script rather than the
init5 one.

Let us know how it goes.

Ade