[Pki-users] Router identity certificate auto-renewal questions

Christina Fu cfu at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 16:14:34 UTC 2015

Hi Emily,
  Please see my in-line reply below.
Actually, you might want to read my last comment first, and then circle
back, so you won't get confused.

Christina

On 04/08/2015 02:38 PM, Emily Stemmerich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was referred to this email list by alee on the #dogtag-pki IRC group
> to get some help on automatic certificate renewals.  We are trying to
> get Dogtag 10.2.1 set up to be a certificate authority for Cisco
> routers' identity certificates.  For the first step I have things
> working to get a certificate using the caRouterCert.cfg profile with a
> one-time password in the flatfile.txt.  For the second step I'm trying
> to get auto-renewal of the identity certificates working.  Here is
> where I stand:

If you intend to do auto-enrollment, then one-time pin is not the right
authentication method.  See my reply to #2 below.

> 1.  For testing, I have set the validity to 1 day so that the renewal
> attempt happens the next day... I don't see a way of making it any
> shorter to expedite testing.
a trick I hear in testing is to reset the clock

> 2. I have added "renewal=true" to the caRouterCert.cfg hoping that it
> will enable auto-renewal.  I'm not sure if using the same profile
> would require that a "one-time" password needs to be in flatfile.txt
> again (which isn't practical)?  If I would need a different profile
> for the renewal I'm not clear on how to add and then use it for the
> renewal.
the caRouterCert profile works just like all the other profiles where
the authentication/authorization are configurable.
Here is a link that explains how authentication works and how to
configure in profiles:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Certificate_System/8.1/html/Admin_Guide/Authentication_for_Enrolling_Certificates.html

You have choices of authentication.  For example, if you want
auto-approval (without agent manual approval), you will need to set up
directory-based authentication.

> 3.  I have renewal.graceBefore=10 and renewal.graceAfter=1 in the
> profile just for testing purposes.
>
> 4.  I have confirmed on the router that the expiration is as expected
> (24hrs) and it shows a date/time that it will attempt to renew
> automatically (the link below discusses cert renewal from the
> perspective of IOS).
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/public-key-infrastructure-pki/116094-maintain-ios-pki.html#anc8
>
> 5.  When the renewal time comes on the router, I see lots of activity
> in the dogtag debug log, but am unsure of what to look for to
> troubleshoot it failing.

Please note that the renewal feature is not intended for the router.
You can read the doc here:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Certificate_System/8.1/html/Admin_Guide/Renewing_Certificates.html

In case of router renewal, you just need to go through the same
caRouterCert profile.  As you can see from the renewal link above,
renewal can take two forms:
1. reuse keys - in this case, you just need to resubmit the same request
2. new keys - in this case, you generate a new request to submit

Hope this helps.
Christina