[Pki-users] How to setup PKI Administrator user

Jain, Mahendra Majain at verisign.com
Tue Mar 31 18:15:42 UTC 2015

Hi Nalinda,

I requested the certificate using 'Manual User Dual-Use Certificate Enrollment’ option.

However, when I tried to import the generated certificate into Firefox browser, I get following error:
'This personal certificate can't be installed because you don't own the corresponding private key which was created when the certificate was requested.'

To work around this, I manually created private key and CSR on the client machine using following steps:

1. Generate a new private key and Certificate Signing Request:
$ openssl req -out operator.csr -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout operator.key

2. Submit a CSR using ‘Manual Administrator Certificate Enrollment’ option via end user interface
(Note: Ensure that the Subject Name field is populated with the exact value as it appears in the Subject attribute of CSR)

3. Create a pkcs#12 file once the above CSR is approved:
$ openssl pkcs12 -export -out operator.p12 -inkey operator.key -in operator.cert -certfile ca.cert

4. Using PKIConsole, create a new user, add that user to the "Certificate Manager Agents” group and associate the certificate (operator.cert) obtained in the step#3 above

5. Launch Firefox browser and import pkcs#12 file (operator.p12) under 'Your Certificates’ section

With these steps, I can now successfully access agent interface.

So, I would like to know when and how 'Manual User Dual-Use Certificate Enrollment’ option is useful in overall solution.

Thanks,
Mahendra