[Pki-users] CRL to file publishing on Clone CA

Aleksey Chudov aleksey.chudov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 21:07:20 UTC 2015

To make it clear I have to tell a bit more about my CA scheme.

I have three servers, Master CA + two Clone CAs. All three servers have
their own DNS names and also shared DNS name ca.local.mycompany.com. So,
ca.local.mycompany.com resolves to three ip addresses for load sharing and
high availability.

All CA enrolled certificates contains extensions

            X509v3 CRL Distribution Points:
                Full Name:
                  URI:http://ca.local.mycompany.com/crl/MasterCRL.crl

            Authority Information Access:
                OCSP - URI:http://ca.local.mycompany.com
<http://ca.local.mycompany.com/crl/MasterCRL.crl>/ca/ocsp
<http://ca.service.local.odkl.ru/ca/ocsp>

There is no problems with OCSP. It works out of the box.

http://ca.local.mycompany.com/crl/
<http://ca.local.mycompany.com/crl/MasterCRL.crl> URL internally points to
local directory on all three servers

# grep -A1 crl /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/server.xml
        <Context path="/crl"
                 docBase="/var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/webapps/crl"
                 allowLinking="true"/>

I need the CRL file to be available on all three servers for
http://ca.local.mycompany.com/crl/MasterCRL.crl URL to work. So, I have
configured CRL publishing to file in /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/webapps/crl
directory on all three servers. But only Master CA actually publishes CRLs.

Is there a way to publish CRLs to file on Clone CA or I should sync
/var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/webapps/crl directory from Master CA?