[Pki-users] exporting sub CA to pem format

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 00:45:50 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 10:53:08AM -0800, Marc Sauton wrote:
> I always use the pkispawn command to create instances, not "pki
> ca-authority-create", so I have a doubt.

To clarify, ca-authority-create creates a lightweight sub-CA within
an existing Dogtag CA instance.  For more info see
https://www.dogtagpki.org/wiki/Lightweight_sub-CAs.

> But try to check for a related PKCS #12 file with extension .p12 in ~/ , or
> use certutil in /etc/pki/*/alias/ , the default
> being /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias/
>
> If there is a p12 file, the key material is wrapped, if not, use pk12util
> to create a p12 file from the NSS db directory.

The lightweight CA keys indeed live in /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias
NSSDB.  No PKCS #12 file is created.  You could export them
yourself, but you probably shouldn't (unless for backup).  I suggest
alternatives in my other reply.

Cheers,
Fraser