samba connections

Hi,
You all probably new I would soon be back...anyhow I got Samba running
and I can see it on my three Windows machines as "localhost".
When I try to launch "localhost" from the two Win98 machines a password
box pops up with \\localhost\ipc$\.  When I type the password it says
not correct.  When I try launching "localhost" from the Win2k Pro
machine a message says, "\\localhost is not accessable, a duplicate name
exists on the network".
I configured Samba from the directions at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-samba-configuring.html
I did the:
cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
And the:
chmod 600 /etc/samba/smbpasswd
But when I tried to do the:
smbpasswd username
I type a username (miyuki) and then the password, and then I re-type the
password but then I get a message that says:
"failed to modify password entry for user miyuki"
I get the same results with my other two users also.
All three users were also placed into the smb.conf file.
Thanks again for you fine help
Dave