Text won't display at prompt without newline

I ran into some odd behavior which if I remember right I didn't see
before RH8.  From an X terminal like xterm, konsole, or gnome-terminal,
if I use a command that prints text w/out a newline I won't see the
resulting text. The following do not work:

	> echo -n "test"
	> perl -e 'print "test"'

But if there's a newline printed it works:

	> echo "test"
	> echo -n "test"; echo
	> perl -e 'print "test\n"'

The odd thing is that if I get out of X and do this from a virtual
console I don't see the problem.  Also, if I su like such:

	> su -l $USER

and try it I don't see the problem either.  I'm pretty befuddled by
this--can anyone provide some ideas on a fix?

--Ade.