Can't logon to Samba from Windows machines

I can see the Linux server in network neighborhood from the Windows
machines, but when I try to connect from the Windows machines I keep
getting a bad password message.
When I run smbpasswd -a I get the following message:
"Cannot add account without a valid local system user.
Failed to modify password entry for user miyuki"
I did add user miyuki to both the smbpasswd file, and as valid users
when I edited the smb.conf file.