smb.conf file

I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing from the following
smb.conf file, or elsewhere, that is stopping a newly installed Redhat 8
server being seen by an NT 4.0 server and Windows 98 clients.  There is
definitely a network connection - I can use smbclient on the redhat
server and access the NT shares.  And there seems to be broadcasting
going on, as when I alter the server string the change is seen on the
Windows clients, but when I then double click on the redhat Server icon
in network neighbourhood I get the error that the network path was not

I can ping by name and IP address both ways, from redhat to windows and
from windows to redhat.

When I do smbclient -L server-name on the redhat server itself it shows
the shares as active, but when I do the same on a Linux client I get
connection refused errors, which I guess means it's some sort of
permission problem.  I've tried adding the users as samba users, with
the same passwords.

In the midst of all this have been able to get the Redhat server to join
the NT domain, using the smbpasswd -j domain-name -r nt-pdc

If anyone can help to point me in the right direction it would be very,
very much appreciated.  Have been through the smb.conf man pages, but I
must be missing something.  Not sure exactly what though.

Thanks again,

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from brandrh (
# Date: 2002/12/04 17:44:39

# Global parameters
	workgroup = BRAND.CO.UK
	netbios name = BRANDRH
	server string = RedHat 8 Server
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = brandnt
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	password level = 8
	username level = 8
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log