Oracle8i v8.1.7 and RHv8

I'm trying to install the subject mentioned version of Oracle. All I need is the client side. My DB is on a different machine. I pulled down the linux tar ball from Oracle and completed all of the pre-install stuff. The problem occurs when I try and execute 'runInstaller'. The message comes back that it is configuring JRE and to please wait. What happens next is the cpu pegs out a 100% and the installer never starts.

Anyone have any luck? All I really need is the sqlplus stuff so if there is anyplace else to get these I'd be happy to try those.

Later, ajTreece