Re: Intel P4 3.06 GHz - hyperthread

** Reply to message from Chris Kloiber <ckloiber ckloiber com> on Sat, 07 Dec
2002 00:06:31 -0500

> On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 21:24, David Scriven wrote:
> > Can the current kernel handle the hyperthreading
> > option that is built into this processor? Has
> > anyone had any experience using this processor
> > with the hyperthreading enabled?
> I haven't seen a non-Xeon with HyperThreading enabled yet. In theory it
> should work just fine as it's nearly identical to the P4 Xeon. Don't
> expect a massive speed enhancement because of the HyperThreading though.
> In fact, you may experience slowdowns. You will probably not notice it
> though as the clock speed is insanely fast anyway.
> I'm waiting to drop a "Hammer" in my next system.

I suggest everybody read the interview Jeremy Andrews did with Ingo Molnar
which was posted on Kerneltrap today. One of the best interviews I have read
regarding linux internals. Ingo does discuss hyperthreading and how it is being
handled in the upcoming 2.6 kernel. We are lucky to have a lieutenant such as
Ingo involved with linux kernel development.