on-board sound

I recently upgraded my computer and am now running with a Gigabyte
GA-7VAXP motherboard.  It uses the AC97 Realtek ALC650 on-board sound.
Red Hat's detection thinks it's a VIA VT8233 device and wants to set it up
as such using via82cxxx_audio.  However, this doesn't work.  I noticed
that there are a couple of other modules called ac97 and ac97_codec in the
modules directory.  I thought perhaps I could load those and get it all
working, but either it isn't or I'm not doing it right.  My sister has
this same motherboard and when I set up Red Hat on her system, I just went
ahead and used ALSA and it worked just fine.  However, I have a couple of
games that will only work with OSS, so I would like to have that working.
Any ideas?  Experiences with this audio device?

TIA,
Brian

bts sdf lonestar org