Re: Connection refused - why?

On 13 Dec 2002, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 15:59, John Nall wrote:
> > When I try to ftp (or telnet) from one RH8.0 system to another RH8.0 system
> > I get the message "connection refused."  I can ping between them OK, and the
> > security level is supposedly set to allow access.  What else do I need to
> > do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
>
> /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd
> /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
>
> If those two files have "disable = yes" then those services are
> disabled. Simple edit the files for a "disable = no" and then
> service xinetd restart

you don't need to mess with editing the /etc/xinetd.d files --
all xinetd-managed services can be managed with "chkconfig".

# chkconfig --list		# see xinetd services at the bottom
# chkconfig telnet on		# allow incoming telnet

note that this *automatically* does a reload of xinetd so you don't
have to do it yourself manually.

rday