Why Telnet? (Was RE: Connection refused - why?)

Out of curiosity, why telnet?

Its seems there is no gain using telnet over ssh.  Why would anyone expose the security risks associated with telnet, even on an isolated network?  I just see no reason to use it and Id like to hear why other do.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Adam ALLEN [mailto:adam dynamicinteraction co uk]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 10:08 AM
To: psyche-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Connection refused - why?

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 15:59, John Nall wrote:
> When I try to ftp (or telnet) from one RH8.0 system to another RH8.0
> system I get the message "connection refused."  I can ping between
> them OK, and the security level is supposedly set to allow access.
> What else do I need to do?
> Thanks,
> John

If those two files have "disable = yes" then those services are disabled. Simple edit the files for a "disable = no" and then service xinetd restart

BTW: SSH is enabled by default since it provides encrypted sessions. However if you don't mind passwords going in clear text, then telnet is fine.

NAME    :	Adam Allen.
EMAIL   :	adam dynamicinteraction co uk

COMMENT :	~~~~ insert your favourite signature comment here ~~~~

PGP     :	http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=adam%40dynamicinteraction.co.uk