RE: Connection refused - why?

Is your firewall not exposing the port?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Nall [mailto:nally talstar com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 10:53 AM
To: psyche-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Connection refused - why?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday mindspring com>

> # chkconfig --list # see xinetd services at the bottom
> # chkconfig telnet on # allow incoming telnet
>
> note that this *automatically* does a reload of xinetd so you don't
> have to do it yourself manually.
>
> rday

1.  telnet is on

2.  ftp is not in the list.  But I can issue an ftp command and it comes up (but says "connection refused").

3.  ssh seems to work fine -- no connection refused on that (and I am not ignoring the suggestion that I should use ssh rather than telnet -- but I would like for telnet and ftp to work).

John