Re: post-installation suggestions for RH 8.0

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  as the final page in a chapter i'm writing on RH 8.0 installation,
>i want to suggest any post-installation stuff that should be done.
>
>  example: editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n and setting
>
>  LANG="en_US"
>
>can anyone suggest other little fixes that should be done?  that is,
>fixes that are doable by someone who may be relatively new to linux.
>
>rday

Here's another suggestion:
Unlike Mandrake, Red Hat does not automatically configure USB
scanners, nor joysticks.

For my EPSON USB scanner, I had to modify the
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf file as follows:

  ---
# SCSI scanner:  <---- REM out
#scsi EPSON
#        first or the second entry.
#usb /dev/usb/scanner0
usb /dev/usb/scanner0   <---REMOVE the REM (#) that precedes this line.
 ---

This should be somewhat similar for other manufacturer's scanners.

Also, for my LOGITECH joystick, I had to add the following
to the end of /etc/rc.local:
 ---
modprobe joydev
modprobe analog
 ---

HTH...

Elton Woo ;-)

--
elwoo videotron ca - ICQ #149608718 (Montreal, Quebec, CANADA).
   LINUX Reg'd User #193975 - AMD Athlon CPU on board.