Compaq Armada 1700 sound

I installed psyche to my ancient compaq laptop, and it appears to run
OK... (once I got out of gnome) .. however, I cant get sound to work...

redhat-config-soundcard just reports there are no sound cards... lspci
would seem to verify that.. maybe its an isa card?? I cant find
isapnpdump (but I didnt do a full install) ...

Does anyone know what kind of soundcard it is, and if its supported by
OSS or if I need ALSA or something else?? it used to work in linux (I'm
thinkin 6.x days?)

Tommy