Sound Events Problem in Gnome and KDE

I've got RH8 running and a problem with sound events in both KDE and
Gnome. Sound events do not play. Audio CD's play fine and also Flash
sites with audio work fine, but sound events such as those in gaim, or
when logging off simply aren't playing now.

I can't get any of the events to play when I click on Play.

I suspect something got messed up when I shutdown inappropriately while
GIMP was running wildly (I mistakenly asked it to rescale 1500% rather
than 15%).

All of the volume levels are turned up. No mutes are on.

In Preferences > Sound > General, I have both Enable sound server
startup and Sounds for events checked. But nothing plays in Sound
Events.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Clint