Re: installing updated xmms

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 15:05, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> This tries to install a _source_ rpm either as a non-root user or
> without the "rpmbuild" package installed (which contains the
> /usr/src/redhat tree).

damn! you beat me to it :-)

If you want to install xmms-mp3, I would strongly advise to build the
src rpm in you're home directory as yourself! and not root.

Copy the following into a file called ~/.rpmmacros
(you're home directory)

--------- cut ------------

%packager               Craig Toenes <mobyg2 yahoo com>

%_topdir                /home/something/redhat
%_tmppath               /var/tmp/rpmbuild

%_rpmtopdir             %{_topdir}
%_builddir              %{_topdir}/BUILD
%_rpmdir                %{_rpmtopdir}/RPMS
%_sourcedir             %{_rpmtopdir}/SOURCES/%{name}
%_specdir               %{_rpmtopdir}/SPECS
%_srcrpmdir             %{_rpmtopdir}/SRPMS

--------- cut ------------

mkdir  ~/redhat
cd ~/redhat
mkdir SOURCES SPECS SRPMS BUILD RPMS

Then install (as stated before 'rpmbuild', just up2date rpmbuild) then
install the xmms src rpm with:

rpm -Uvh xmms-1.2.7-13.p.src.rpm

Then cd into ~/redhat/SPECS

rpmbuild -ba xmms.spec

That should build and install into the ~/redhat/RPMS/i386
directory

Then as root cd into that directory and run:

rpm -Uvh xmms*

Mark

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.