packages GUI

When I open the packages GUI it gets halfway through
the
packages currently installed and then just
dissappears.
This is the same thing that happens when I try to
install
anything via "open with" "install" as far as the
dependencies are concerned. I have a long list of
instructions for xmms which I hope I'm up to
following.
Hopefully everything else works.

                 Craig