What controls perms on user displays?

Hi,

I su'd to root just a minute ago and ran 'make xconfig', and noticed
that root can just go ahead and pop up windows at will, and this would
seem to be a default configuration in Psyche.

A friend running Slack reminded me that I used to have to go through
setting 'xhost' up to allow that (he still has to), but now I don't, and
I would just like to know why the default configuration is this way, and
what actually controls the default settings for things like this.

Pointers to 'man' welcome, as I really wasn't sure where to look for
this info.

Thanks.