Re: Metacity hangs for several minutes when starting

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 07:52:29PM +0100, Agon S. Buchholz wrote:
> Can anyone please point me to information how to track down what
> happens? As I understand the start-process of the "Bluecurve" UI, the X
> Server has finished loading, started the Window Manager Metacity, so the
>   problem is either related to Metacity or the next thing which is being
> loaded after the Window Manager, right? Is there a log file or something
>   where I can possibly find debugging information?

I would suggest stracing the startup. Easiest thing is to create a
~/.Xclients file containing something like:

strace -tt -o /tmp/startup-trace -f gnome-session

Remember to chmod +x ~/.Xclients, and in gdm select the "Default"
session which will run the .Xclients.

Then look at /tmp/startup-trace or make it available for other people
to look at.

Havoc