route library call

I'm not a programmer, but my co-worker wants to ask this question:

Do any of you know a library call to get the current route table in linux (in any language)? I need to get the "default gateway" in the client application.

I can get around the issue by running "route" and processing the output, but that's a kludge I'd rather not go with.

---regards
steve