Re: Kernel panic with ext3 root set to writeback

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 05:57, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > To be clear:  specifying "rootflags=data=writeback" causes the kernel
> > panic.
>
> it's also the wrong thing to do: the initrd mounts your root filesystem,
> not the kernel. So the mount flag need to be set within the initrd, and
> afaik, mkinitrd just uses /etc/fstab to copy the flags AT CREATION TIME
> of the initrd.....

That fixed it.  The steps to enable ext3's writeback mode are:

1.  add "data=writeback" to /'s flags in /etc/fstab;
2.  mkinitrd; and
3.  update grub.conf to point to the new initrd image.

It's probably a bug that the flags have to match in fstab and its initrd
copy, but I don't care because it works!  Thanks, everyone (especially
Arjan) for your help and patience.

Tom