/var/lib/rpm/

A gentleman had suggested that I could fix my GUI
install
problem with:
              rm -f /var/lib/rpm/_db*
I did that and got a root prompt.
      The next thing he said to do was:
              rpm --rebuilddb
I did that and got a blinking prompt with nothing else
and nothing happened. I suspect that /var/lib/rpm/
might be at the root of my problem but I'm not sure.

Both the package manager and the open with/install
packages stopped working after I installed an xmms
source rpm;which the open with/install appeared to
have
successfully installed.
                 Any input would be appreciated.
                 This is my only option because there
is no other support.  PS.Bugzilla has nothing listed