Best way to reinstall XFree and KDE?

Due to an power outage last night XFree doesn't start anymore.
Immediately after initialising X-Windows the system freeze, the screen
is blinking and I have to power off. I suppose I have to reinstall the
complete xWindow subsystem (including Gnome and KDE), all the current
binaries and configuration files being overwriten by new ones. How can I
do that in the most efficient way?

Thanks
Peter