Re: Kill app

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 11:41:45PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 08:16:09PM -0800, anthony baldwin wrote:

> > I have run "man kill" and it is not in any decipherable language
> > resembling english.
>
> Sure it is... you just need to know a little about Unix signals and
> processes.  A pid as a Process ID.  You can find out the pid of
> running processes using the ps command.  < SNIP >

This is an excellent tutorial, and while a basic knowlege of pids and
the use of the ps command is something that anyone spending time with
Linux (or Mac OS X, for that matter) will find useful, a simpler
suggestion would be: "Read the killall man page with "man killall",
and if "killall <program>" doesn't work, try "killall -KILL <program>".

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis mail630 gsfc nasa gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA