system clock setting itself back 7 hours and nic goes to sleep

I have been dealing with a bunch of strange problems with my RH8.0 file
server.  I have had help form Tom D. which is moving me towards server
perfection, but now I have more information.  My NIC is going to sleep,
but the /var/log/messages doesn't show anything interesting.  What it
does show is that, when the server was unreachable over the network, the
system time is set 7 hours back in time.   Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated!

Randall (Randy) Trahan
Avaya, Inc.
1300 W. 120th St.