Re: Spam ?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 06:55:26PM -0500, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	It's definitely a marketing thing.  Not only Mdk but Slack is at 9.x
> and don't forget Solaris is at 9, too.

Wrong.

Every time I have heard of about red Hat's versioning system it has been
consistant.

A major release is triggered when changes break binary compatibility.
As is this case with NPTL.

Other company's may have been led by marketing but I have been using Red
Hat for years and I can tell you they have always been consistant.

Anyone have a good link to the "official" versioning policy so we can point
new users to this as a FAQ when they jump to conclusions?

Chuck