Parted: Resizing an ext3 / partition

I currently have RH 8.0 on my desktop and wanted to upgrade to 9.0.  I want to
do this from scratch but there are gigs of data (mp3s, docs, videos, software
source) that I want to keep.  When I installed 8.0 I used pretty much the entire
80gig disk for the / partition.  I was thinking that maybe I could resize the
partition and use the freed space to create a partition that would be left alone
on the new install.

Thanks