Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #1235 - 7 msgs

On Friday 11 April 2003 12:04 pm, psyche-list-request redhat com wrote:
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:04:51 -0400
> From: myrddin linuxphile org
> To: psyche-list redhat com
> Subject: Parted: Resizing an ext3 / partition
>

> I currently have RH 8.0 on my desktop and wanted to upgrade to 9.0.  I
> want to do this from scratch but there are gigs of data (mp3s, docs,
> videos, software source) that I want to keep.  When I installed 8.0 I
> used pretty much the entire 80gig disk for the / partition.  I was
> thinking that maybe I could resize the partition and use the freed
> space to create a partition that would be left alone on the new
> install.
>
> Thanks

Yes, parted has the capability to shrink a large partition and even move
it to another part of the disk.  You can't move the start of a partition,
just the end.  If you move a partition, obviously, it can't overlap the
existing partition.

I tried to shrink, and then move a partition with 'parted', with poor
results.  Ultimately lost my data and had to reload software from
scratch.  Never found out why .. suggest you make a backup first.  If you
are just going to shrink your partition, maybe you won't have a problem.
Good luck.