CDR Problems

I have redhat 8.0 on an AMD Athlon 1200. My CDRW is a Yamaha CRW1200EZ that is
the primary cdrom. i have it set up as ide-scsi through scd0. When I do a
cdrecord -scanbus it see it at 0,0,0 but when i try to write to it, it hangs up
for a minute and then says "CD/DVD-recorder not ready" and the drive won't respond.

I've tried everything that i could find on boards but i can't get it to work.Is
there a known problem with any modules or with this drive?