selectively allowing users to dail out with winmodem.

I want to allow users using KDE and gnome to dialout on my Conexant
winmodem.  I've gotten a driver for that works for using kppp but I
can't seem set it up as a network device (the system doesn't find a
modem) and says it can't activate it if I specify a location.

What I've tried:
(on advise from a friend)

1. add a group called "dialout"

2. add the specific users to this group

4. chown root.dialout /usr/sbin/kppp

5  chmod 4750 /usr/sbin/kppp

6. as root create the file  /etc/kppp.allow  and just put the users name
in the file
*(why am I doing this? my records? or does PAM use this or something?)*

7. to use kppp as normal user run:  /usr/sbin/kppp  and not

when I dial out as a user I get this:

	You don't have sufficient permission to run
	Please make sure that kppp is owned by root and has the SUID bit 	set.
(It looks to me though that pppd has world execute permissions....huh?)

Then I get the kppp window and when I go to dial out, the terminal says:

	[nick localhost nick]$ /usr/sbin/kppp
	_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to 	root
	DCOPServer up and running.
	Opener: received SetSecret
	Opener: received OpenLock

	error opening lockfile!

I'd like to find a simple way to selectively allow users to dial out
that actually does let users dial out..heh heh.

any help would be appreciated,

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."

    -George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950),
     Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"