selectively allowing users to dail out with winmodem.

I want to allow users using KDE and gnome to dialout on my Conexant
winmodem.  I've gotten a driver for that works for using kppp but I
can't seem set it up as a network device (the system doesn't find a
modem) and says it can't activate it if I specify a location.

What I've tried:
(on advise from a friend)

1. add a group called "dialout"

2. add the specific users to this group

4. chown root.dialout /usr/sbin/kppp

5  chmod 4750 /usr/sbin/kppp

6. as root create the file  /etc/kppp.allow  and just put the users name
in the file
*(why am I doing this? my records? or does PAM use this or something?)*

7. to use kppp as normal user run:  /usr/sbin/kppp  and not
/usr/bin/kppp

when I dial out as a user I get this:

	You don't have sufficient permission to run
	/usr/sbin/pppd
	Please make sure that kppp is owned by root and has the SUID bit 	set.
(It looks to me though that pppd has world execute permissions....huh?)

Then I get the kppp window and when I go to dial out, the terminal says:

	[nick localhost nick]$ /usr/sbin/kppp
	_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to 	root
	DCOPServer up and running.
	Opener: received SetSecret
	Opener: received OpenLock

	error opening lockfile!

I'd like to find a simple way to selectively allow users to dial out
that actually does let users dial out..heh heh.

any help would be appreciated,
thanks

Nick
--
"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."

    -George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950),
     Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"