Re: Motherboard MSI 694D and RH 8

From: "Randall J. Parr" <RParr TemporalArts COM>
> Niels R. Walet wrote:
>
> > I have 8 older systems running the above motherboard, most (but not
> > all?) of which seem to die somewhere in the boot sequence, or early
> > after ending the boot sequence with any of the rh 8 standard/upgrade
> > kernels, either an smp or ordinary kernel. Before I junk all of this
> > (difficult, since I can hardly replace all of these), is anyone aware
> > of issues with the MOBO/kernel combination?
> > Niels
>
> I am running a server with a MSI 694D motherboard (the one without the
> RAID controller on MB).
> I have run it with RH 6.x, 7.x, and now 8.0 with SCSI drives, SCSI RAID,
> and now IDE RAID.

I'd recommend checking the BIOS level. I had several VA Linux boxes based on
an Intel MB, upgrading the BIOS also upgraded the SCSI ROM, causing an
incompatibility (DOH!) with RedHat 7.3. Fortunately RH8 fixed this, and the
machines are productive again.

I'd check the BIOS levels on all the boards, they are likely different. You
could try flashing 1 non-working board to the latest BIOS to see if this
resolves it, if not, see if you can recover the BIOS from one of the working
boards.