Forcing a Screen refresh in X

My wife asked me to setup her mahjongg game (kmahjongg) to start at a
lower resolution so it would be bigger for her.  I did this using the
startx command eg:

startx /usr/bin/kmahjongg -geometry +100+10 -- :1 -screen screen1

where screen1 is "800x600"

So far so good.  However, on my laptop (Latitude C840 w/GeForce 4 go
and Nvidia driver version 1.0-4349) the game board does not appear
until I do an <ctrl><alt><FN>, <ctrl><alt><F8> where N is any muber
other than "8"

I am guessing this is because the screen does not refresh
automatically so I am wondering if there any way to force this

--
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
You have the right to remain helpless. Should you give up this right,