Re: Help-Not able to login to linux system through telnet,FTP fromwindows workstation

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 15:35, ravinder wrote:
> Sir,
> I am new to Linux enviroment,
> i am installing red hat linux 8 server on my intel based system,
> while configuring the firewall i have selected "No Firewall".
> my problem is, i am not able to login to my linux machine from windows
> workstaion or any sun machine throught telnet or FTP.
> when i check the firewall configuration throught Lokkit or
> Security-level menu.i find the firewall conf as High.

It says high, but this doesn't display what the current setting is -
only what it will set to if you select OK.

> i did try to configure from here to allow telnet,ftp etc,etc.then
> updates the iptablesas per the documentation asks me to do.
> Even then the Fire wall conf does not get configured.

Try the simplest way first:  Change the security level to "No firewall",
then run
/etc/init.d/iptables stop
as root, then run
/etc/init.d/sshd start

Then use ssh from windows (NOT telnet!) to connect to your linux box.
Then once you are sure this works, you can start playing with your

For a free ssh client for windows, try either cygwin or putty (there are
many others)

Hope this Helps,
Iain Buchanan <iain pcorp com au>

Question: Is it better to abide by the rules until they're changed or
help speed the change by breaking them?