shut down problem

I have set up Psyche on my mother's Gateway 433 desktop, as a Win/RH box
using Grub.  She likes pretty pictures and so wants to be able to do
everything from the gui.  I however can't get it to stay turned off when
I select "Shut Down" from the log out pop-up window.  It reboots.
It also reboots using:

[me localhost me]$ poweroff

any pointers would be appreciated

thanks