Re: poweroff uncomplete with SMP

Ronald> Tuesday, August 26, 2003, 10:19:07 AM, Edward wrote:
>> My understanding is that the code implementing APM is not SMP-safe.
>> When the kernel determines that it's running on an SMP box, it disables
>> APM.

Ronald> The unenlightened might think that when a system is shutting down,
Ronald> there would not be any reason why, towards the end of the shutdown,
Ronald> all but one of the processors could not be taken off line (making
Ronald> it a single processor system), which would allow the non-SMP-safe
Ronald> power-down of the box to proceed.

Well, I have to state that I am also unenlightened, as I'm just a tech
writer with an SMP box, and not a kernel guru... :-)

                                    Ed

--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/