recompiling the nvidia driver after updating the kernel

OK...I see that the kernel has been updated again, and the ! is blinking at me telling me to go run up2date. Once this happens, I have the joy of remaking the nvidia driver yet again (thanks, NVidia...). My question is this: once up2date runs and does the installation, if I shut down X, can I do the "make clean; make; sudo make install" before rebooting, or do I have to wait until after?

James Jones