RE: An Interesting Problem

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 07:32, Joshua Dolan wrote:
> Dave,
> I ping'd my ISP and had no problems there.  I checked the log file and found
> the IP addys ok there.  I saw nowhere it had any errors in the log script
> with PPP, yet, you might say that it loses its way and just wont go anywhere
> after a period of time.  I was hoping that maybe there was a setting that
> might be wrong.  But at this point, that isnt the case. Yesterday, I did a
> dialup and listened to some streaming audio for a while to see what would
> happen.  I did well for about 10 minutes and then I got any error that said
> the computer had lost its connection to the server.  It doesn’t drop the
> connection to the ISP, it just refuses to keep connected to websites or
> email sites.  That is my tale of woe.  Thanks again for any ideas.

I guess the next thing I would do is fire up a packet sniffer and watch
the traffic across your ppp interface. Ethereal comes with RH 8, and has
a nice GUI front-end called ethereal-gnome or something like that. Maybe
you will see some sort of TCP timeout errors occurring, or something

Dave Sherman
"If we wanted you to understand it, we wouldn't call it code."