LVM problems at boot

I've recently setup LVM on a couple of standard Red Hat boxes and in
both cases they will not boot once the LVM partition is in /etc/fstab,
unless I edit /etc/rc.sysinit. I have found through experimentation that
I need to make the following changes in order for the boot to complete.

310c310
< if [ -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then
---
> if [ -e /proc/lvm -a -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then
469c469
< if [ -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then
---
> if [ -e /proc/lvm -a -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then

Why isn't /proc/lvm present at this point or why is Red Hat needing it
to be there? When I take that out the boot happens fine and LVM works
properly. In both instances I have setup the LVM after the install not
during.

--
Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS