Re: LVM problems at boot

On Friday 07 February 2003 08:44, Michael Robbert wrote:
> Why isn't /proc/lvm present at this point or why is Red Hat needing it
> to be there? When I take that out the boot happens fine and LVM works
> properly. In both instances I have setup the LVM after the install not
> during.

/proc/lvm is created when the lvm-mod module is loaded.  If the LVM module is
loaded in the initrd, then Red Hat knows it needs to run vgscan/change so
that it could mount LVM devices at boot time.

What you need to do is re-create your initrd (mkinitrd).  If you have LVM
mounts in /etc/fstab than the LVM module will be included.  If not, use the
--with=lvm-mod option to mkinitrd.  lvmcreate_initrd seems quite broken on RH
systems, as it doesn't take advantage of /dev/MAKEDEV and tries to copy every
/dev/* file to the initrd, thus running it out of space.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: